Thu May 20 2021
As of today, we have moved our IRC channel from Freenode to Libera Chat.
This decision was done both in respect with the former Freenode's Staff, as well as to follow our infrastructure provider (OSUOSL), whom also has decided to switch.
You can find us online on IRC: server: irc.libera.chat, channel: #freedroid
Come visit us, and don't let the bots get to you!
- The FreedroidRPG Team
Fri Jan 01 2021
Hello every human, linarian, and even bots whom are lurking around! We came here to wish a happy new year for all of you!
The Universal Fraternization Day, which is celebrated every January 1st, was established during the apex of the cold wars, to promote peace and happiness across the nations.
The first year in which it was celebrated, 1968, was also the year of the Vietnam War, the murder of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King. There was every reason to say it was a failure. But even so, the date was celebrated the year after.
This year will be no different. We can say several things did not went so well in the past year. We have not yet been able to release FreedroidRPG 1.0 as originally planned. However, this has never stopped mankind from dreaming of better days to come, and the ideals of peace
Nor shall it stop us from going forward.
Sincerely, The FreedroidRPG Team
Sat Sep 14 2019
It saddens us to hear about the loss of Józef Kucia. His passing away was announced by CodeWeavers recently.
Józef Kucia was a former developer of this game, who joined us during Google Summer Of Code 2011. It was obvious from the start that he was a very skilled person; and he became a graphics programming expert in short order. We have fond memories of his work and dedication.
Words cannot express the sadness we feel at this news. Józef Kucia will always be remembered for the brilliant person he was, and for the contributions he did to the open source gaming community.
May he rest in peace. FreedroidRPG Team
Sat Mar 30 2019
The FreedroidRPG team is proud to announce the first release candidate for version 1.0! This version has been in the making for several years and contains many changes and improvements, representing the work of many contributors.
Source tarball, Windows and MacOSX installers are available on ftp.osuosl.org
Our Git repository is on GitLab.
Here is a quick list of some major changes from 0.16.1 you're likely to notice:
- Fonts were changed! Previous ones had missing glyphs. The new ones have the Unicode at their side, for all languages on Transifex.
- We changed the directory structure, to make development easier.
- More skills were added, and the order on which you can buy them was changed - Tamara will periodically restock the library after major game events!
- Also, minor changes were done to help with immersion. Like a new sound effect, and voiced title screens. Do you remember the opening text? Dvorak now got a voice.
- Duncan will sell his full arsenal to Red Guard members.
- You can know learn about all droid class - ever wondered what those pesky 800's droids were used for? Well, now this info is available for you!
- Master arena was redesigned one last time. It may not be there for next release, as Xenux works on even better challenges.
- A new quest is available. Where? Only the shores know this secret.
- Spencer won't give the Electro Laser Rifle anymore. After all, who said you are using a gun? Depending on your choices, he'll give you a different weapon!
- Master programming and melee fighting - who needs guns, when you have brain and fists, after all?
- Some boss-grade bots were added ingame. Be careful out there, it is a dangerous world.
- You can cancel an ongoing attack by right-clicking on the screen. Let's not waste ammo on small fry.
- Level editor, when zoomed out, will be easier to see, as the object labels will be omitted.
- And we finally finished act 1. A preview about what is to come past the 1.0 landmark is available - have fun in this new area, with challenges and optional boss - exactly what a post-game player would want.
- Countless annoying bugs were squished and shiny tweaks were squeaked.
Note that this version breaks compatibility with older savegames. Specifically, new or modified map elements will not be available when playing with savegames from 0.16.1, and this may cause a crash when the game goes looking for them. To make the most of the current state of the game, please start a new character.
We want to take this opportunity and call out to testers and translators - we need your help to make the game as polished as possible! Bugs need to be found, and translations need to be proofread by as many eyes as possible. Check out our translations on FreedroidRPG's page on Transifex, show us a bug you found in the wild, try to write a bug yourself, or just come and talk to us! To make this the best release possible, any help and feedback is appreciated!
-The FreedroidRPG Team
Sun Jun 10 2018
This is FreeDroidRPG's progress report for March, April and May 2018.
Since 0.16.1 release, GitLab accuses that a total of 411 commits.
Anyway, during these months it was mostly Code Depto. finishing the pendencies we had. Check out:
- Better keyboard input handling. Thanks to a patch by fluzz, modifier keys are likely to work better, and some special characters can be used (like café). However, be aware that only letters and numbers are allowed on character names!
- Jesusaves removed an unused image, making your game a few KB lighter.
- Robin Gareus improved the message which is displayed on the console during level respawn. Please report if this somehow slow down your game!
- Julien Puydt provided a patch to update our appstream file.
- temp_trisquel reported on IRC about some situations on which you can make the game unwinnable. If you somehow make the game unwinnable, you'll get a warning on your screen.
- Jesusaves changed a line which allowed Doc Moore to give multiple Brain Enlargement Pill antidotes - these doesn't works on Linarians, and it could be confusing.
- Following a bug report, Jesusaves changed a little the program specs of invisibility to take Emergency Shutdown in consideration.
- Robin Gareus proposed and Fluzz skillfully added a feature which allows you to cancel an ongoing attack by right clicking. That'll activate your current selected skill.
- Gregory Lozet is thinking ahead, and added a patch to null pointers - a small step, but needed one, if we ever make resolution changeable ingame.
- Xenux refactored some code, so obstacle triggers still work if the obstacle is destroyed via ranged weapon.
- Robin Gareus reordered init calls, which was needed for Act 2.
- Jesusaves touched a little the level editor, to omit obstacle labels when zooming. This way, these labels won't omit the map content.
- Christoph Franzen and fluzz fixed a few bugs, like items on ground losing quality, or repair item making the item indestructible.
- Fluzz fixed a bug which did not displayed the big "Game Won" message on screen when game is over. You deserve that for finishing the game!
- Fluzz also fixed a bug which made some bots respawn even after Firmware Upgrade was deployed. Your own bots may still be hacked again by MS, beware.
- Jesusaves fixed some weird issues on An Explosive Situation quest.
If you noticed any bug when playing, or want to request a feature, consider filling a bug or feature request. You can also Contact us. Patches can be sent at Review Board but most likely won't make it for next release.
We want to thank everyone who helped the game, and without them this project would not be possible. Even a playtest counts!
-The FreedroidRPG Team