Sun Jan 22 2023
FreedroidRPG 1.0 is out! We are proud to announce the biggest FreedroidRPG release yet.
This version has been in the making for 7 years and contains many changes and improvements, representing the work of many contributors.
Source tarball, AppImages, Windows and MacOSX installers are available on ftp.osuosl.org
We are also now on Steam! You can obtain a copy from there if you prefer.
Keep in mind that starting with 1.0, we no longer make win-i686 builds. Also note that our Git repository is now on Codeberg.
Here is a quick list of some major changes from 0.16.1 you're likely to notice:
- The game is now structured in acts. FreedroidRPG 1.0 has the Act 1 complete. You can, however, use the act system to create mods: Express your creativity!
- A preview of Act 2 was also included in FreedroidRPG 1.0. The adventure must continue.
- More sound effects and music were added, for an overall more immersive experience. Did we mention this includes voice acting in major title screens?
- More information about the game's world is now available from the NPCs.
- Master Arena was redesigned.
- The order in which you acquire skills has changed.
- Duncan now sells bigger grenades to Red Guard members.
- Fonts were changed and improved.
- New quests were added.
- Spencer now gives different rewards for completing the Disruptor Shield Base, depending on your play style.
- Programming and Melee can now be mastered.
- Some areas are now protected by BOSS - Bots Of Special Shock. They are more powerful then regular bots.
- Right Click will now also cancel an ongoing attack.
- Minor level editor improvements.
- Quest log can now be scrolled with arrow keys.
- Lua sandboxing was added.
- Countless fixes and improvements, of which there are simply too many to enumerate.
Note that this version breaks compatibility with older savegames.
The completion of 1.0 milestone does not mark the end of FreedroidRPG development. 1.0 however wraps up the First Act. While changes to Act 1 may happen, you should no longer be required to restart it in order to play next releases.
Check out our translations on FreedroidRPG's page on Transifex,
Show us a bug you found in the wild,
Try to write a fix yourself,
Or just come and talk to us!
We want to thank everyone who helped the game, and without them this project would not be possible. Don't let the bots catch you!
-The FreedroidRPG Team