November & December 2013 Progress Report
Mon Jan 06 2014
Hello, and a Happy New Year! The end of one year and the beginning of another is always time to stop and reflect on the past, as well as plan for the future. Throughout 2013, FreeDroidRPG developed in many areas and saw many changes, and its future is more fascinating and promising than ever before. The world is coming to life with denizens who have more ways to talk and more things to say, flowing rivers and swaying oceans, a strange new plot that is slowly being revealed, and the engine that is driving it all growing stronger and more flexible. These are some of the changes that accompanied the end of 2013:
- Xenux added advanced logic for the refurbished arena in town: fight against waves of bots in different difficulty modes, and try to impress Mike, the arena master!
- fluzz added Lua bindings, which will allow for easier and quicker referencing to the various components of the game in the event scripting system and new dialog engine. The first use for this framework is accessing functions used by the player character.
- Xenux introduced item IDs, which are separate from the item name displayed to the user; this will help with translation efforts and improves code sanity.
- Event triggers were reworked and are now simpler, more reliable and more flexible, by Xenux.
- A bug was fixed that caused only the first six slots out of the ten in the quickbar to fill automatically as the player picked up items. Thanks to Xenux.
- Various fixes and tweaks that make the game's engine a friendlier place were made, as well as dialog improvements, by all contributors.
All in all, 67 changes were committed during the months of November and December. 547 changes were committed during 2013.
Now, and always, we thank you, who read these reports and followed the project throughout its growth. We thank those who took part in that growth, both past and present, and welcome those who will do so in the future. That could be you, and there are many ways to contribute: contact us, submit a feature request or bug report, or a patch. You might even be featured in a progress report this year!
-The FreedroidRPG Team