March 2011 Progress Report
Fri Apr 01 2011
No joke: this is FreeDroidRPG's monthly progress report for March! Some of the more notable changes made throughout the month:
- The Network Mapper in-game program has been added, replacing the unused Satellite Image program: It displays all the enemies on the current level on the automap for a short time. Remember, you need to have the automap enabled and turned on (default key TAB) to use the skill! Thanks to Miles McCammon.
- Through many changes to the code and much replacing of functions, performance and visuals in SDL mode are now fully on par with those of OpenGL mode. Thanks to Samuel Pitoiset and Arthur Huillet.
- The shotgun weapons now fire actual shotgun shells with pellets and spread. Thanks to Infrared.
- Content was added to various signs throughout the game, by Matthias Krüger.
- John, a new character, has been added as well as a puzzle game involving teleporters. Thanks to Matthias Krüger.
- Some characters will now speak in a slightly different manner if the player is followed by the Red Guard. Thanks to Thor and Joseph.
Among the smaller changes are:
- The automap now updates when obstacles are destroyed; exits and entrances to underground levels are now displayed in yellow on the automap. By Miles McCammon.
- Unaffordable prices in shops are displayed in red, by Miles McCammon.
- A bug that caused obstacles not to be displayed on some operating systems was fixed, thanks to fluzz.
- It is now possible to take screenshots within the game, so don't hesitate to snap a few pictures and show the world the beauty of the game, or show any problems you encounter to the devs. Thanks to Miles McCammon.
- Heating for most in-game programs has been increased slightly, by Matthias Krüger.
- The frames in Tux's (the player model) animation are no longer reset when crossing a level border. Thanks to Józef Kucia.
- It is now possible to cycle between items on the same tile, like obstacles, in the editor.
- More behind-the-scenes changes for devs and contributors.
All in all 245 changes were committed.
That was March; as always, we want to thank every contributor, and call out to anyone else who wants to add or change something in the game to send in a patch to rb.freedroid.org.
-The FreeDroidRPG Team